Plum Upside-Down Cake
"Based on the Cottage Pudding Upside-Down Cake on this site, this plummified version ensures the same fluffy base but with specks of cinnamon thrown in for visual effect. Use a mix of sweet and sour plums for best results and adjust the brown sugar amounts if most of them are sour. Note that flipping the cake will be messier if your plums are overripe. Once it's cooled down, you'll want to reheat it for about 10 seconds in the microwave for the tastiest results."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 255
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 8-inch cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Drop butter into an 8-inch square and let melt in the preheating oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and tilt to coat the bottom evenly with butter. Sprinkle brown sugar and almond flour on top. Arrange plum slices over the mixture.
- Beat softened butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Mix in egg and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together in a separate bowl. Add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk, folding just until dry spots disappear. Pour batter evenly over the plums; tap pan onto the counter to expel excess air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cover the pan with a serving plate and immediately invert cake onto the plate. Let cool until no longer hot, about 15 minutes. Cut and serve warm.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute almond extract for the vanilla if desired.
- Feel free to add chopped or sliced nuts to the bottom.
- This cake can also be made in a 9-inch round baking pan.
Per Serving: 255 calories; 13.2 31 3.8 49 249 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1