Mom's Christmas Plum Pudding
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"I love this dessert so much that now my mother makes one for dessert on Christmas and a separate one for me to take home. This pudding is very rich and small servings go a very long way. It's delicious for weeks afterward in the refrigerator. Cut a slice, add brandy sauce, microwave, and indulge while your New Year's resolution is looking the other way!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 30 m servings 493
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Generously grease a 12-cup steamed pudding mold and its lid.
- Stir together plums, crushed gingersnaps, flour, sugar, milk, butter, eggs, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg for the pudding. Pour into the prepared pudding mold and cover with the lid. Place the mold on a rack in a deep, 8-quart pot. Add boiling water to halfway up the side of the mold, making sure water does not touch the lid.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 3 hours 45 minutes, adding more boiling water, if necessary. Remove the pudding mold from the pot and cool on a wire rack until pudding pulls away from the side of the mold, about 30 minutes.
- While pudding is cooling, combine sugar, half-and-half, butter, brandy, and corn syrup in a small, heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts, and sugar dissolves, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Invert pudding onto a platter and serve immediately alongside warm brandy sauce.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have a pudding mold, you can use a 3-quart heat-proof bowl and 2 to 3 layers of aluminum foil for the lid. The foil should be able to overhang the bowl, because you will tie it on. Grease the foil as well as the bowl.
- Traditionally, before serving, scoop a little hollow out of the top of the pudding and set in an eggshell filled with brandy. Light the brandy and then carry the flaming pudding to the table.
- Raisins are a nice addition. Chopped nuts give it a little crunch. Dried cranberries add some tang.
- If not serving the pudding right away, you can refrigerate it up to 3 weeks. Reheat before serving.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of brandy sauce. The actual amount of brandy sauce consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 493 calories; 15.4 84 5.1 62 530 Full nutrition