4 made it | 0 reviews |
"I saw a documentary on Michoacan-style carnitas and wanted to replicate it with a vegan version. I chose as close to authentic ingredients and methods as I could. This means boiling the jackfruit in a sweet and tangy marinade before crisping it, giving an authentic edge for a tasty taco."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 202
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Rinse jackfruit, dry, and set aside.
- Whisk together soda, vinegar, 1/8 cup vegetable oil, and lime juice in a large mixing bowl. Add onion, chili powder, panela, pepper, salt, and bay leaves. Add jackfruit pieces and mix to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Pour jackfruit and marinade into a nonstick skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer until the liquid has reduced by 3/4, about 20 minutes. Pour into a colander and drain; remove and discard bay leaves.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add drained jackfruit and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to tear jackfruit into small pieces. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until each piece is as crispy as possible, 10 to 15 minutes. Add remaining vegetable oil, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat the corn tortillas on a griddle. Ladle equal portions of jackfruit carnitas into each tortilla. Top with pickled jalapenos and carrots. Sprinkle with cilantro and garnish each taco with a lime wedge. Serve hot.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- If you can't find bitter orange soda, use regular orange soda or fresh orange juice, but reduce the panela by half and add a few dashes of bitters.
Per Serving: 202 calories; 9.4 27.8 2.1 0 624 Full nutrition