My Daddy's Corn Pone
"Here's one of the things my dad used to make (it was a short list, and it also included a simple and amazing oyster stew and the best chocolate fudge in the world). I love this stuff... it's like a dense, very moist cornbread, and unique. I haven't seen a similar recipe for it. Enjoy! Serve with butter."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h servings 169
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9x13-inch pan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Stir cornmeal, sugar, flour, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and add butter. Stir until melted and blended. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm, at least 15 minutes. Add milk and eggs and mix well. Stir in the cornmeal mixture just until combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is dry, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 45 minutes before cutting into squares.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- The leftover pone is also great cut into slabs and pan-fried in butter.
Per Serving: 169 calories; 6 26 3.8 44 254 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1