Chef John's American Goulash
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 336
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and ground beef. Cook, breaking the meat into small pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes. Cook and stir until liquid is evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes more. Add garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, Italian seasoning, and bay leaves.
- Cook and stir until flavors come together, about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and marinara sauce. Rinse out the jar with 1 cup water and pour into the pot. Add soy sauce, stir, and bring soup to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer to let flavors intensify, about 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a simmer. Add macaroni; simmer, stirring occasionally, until just barely tender, about 12 minutes. Check for doneness after 10 minutes.
- Remove goulash from heat. Discard bay leaves; stir in parsley and Cheddar cheese. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Taste and season as desired.
- Chef's Notes:
- Make your own Italian herb mix with any desired blend of oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley, and basil.
- Feel free to swap water for chicken broth.
- You can also add beans to turn this into an excellent pasta fazool.
Per Serving: 336 calories; 17.3 25.1 18.9 58 1169 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
I was skeptical, but Chef John has never steered me wrong. So glad I tried it as I was pleasantly surprised. It tastes fancier than it sounds, and my family loved it. Next time would use less sa...
We called this slumgullion growing up. Super yummy and 1 pot makes it a winner! The cheese makes it thicker and yummy!
This recipe was fantastic! My kids ate it up. Chef John does not disappoint! My one change is that I drained the tomatoes to keep it from being too soupy. Other than that, you need to make thi...
So good! I did a half recipe because it’s only the two of us but used a whole can of tomatoes and the one cup of water at the end and it was perfect.
This was so good! i added saute zucchini and eggplant and a green pepper because I had to use them up. Taste even better the next day and will continue to thicken.
I made this today. Absolutely wonderful! I changed it up a bit by adding sweet Italian sausage, mushrooms, peppers, shredded yellow cheddar and parmigiana cheese. I also substituted ziti pasta ...