Homemade Fortune Cookies
"Whether it's sharing a positive prophecy with a friend, proposing marriage, or passive-aggressively letting your roommate know they need to do their dishes, nothing does the job quite like a fortune cookie. The key is to work quickly; you'll want to insert your fortunes and shape these light, crispy cookies right as they come out of the oven. Wearing gloves might be a good idea!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 47
Original recipe yields 10 servings (10 to 12 fortune cookies)
- Print and cut out 3-inch wide paper fortunes. Watch Now
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Combine egg white, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, salt, and butter in a bowl. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add flour and whisk until batter is smooth and falls off the whisk in ribbons. Watch Now
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of batter onto the prepared baking sheet; spread out into a 4-inch circle using the back of a spoon. Repeat once more. Watch Now
- Bake first batch in the preheated oven until crispy and golden brown on the edges and still pale in the centers, about 10 minutes. Watch Now
- Quickly lift up cookies using a spatula. Add a fortune to each. Fold cookies in half, pressing edges together lightly. Bend each cookie over the rim of the pan, bringing ends down on either side. Lift up and curl ends towards each other. Place cookies in ramekins or muffin tins to hold their shape while they cool. Watch Now
- Bake remaining batter in batches, folding and shaping the cookies while hot. Remove from ramekins or muffin tins when completely cool.
You might also like
- Chef's Notes:
- If any cookie sits too long and becomes too stiff to shape, return it to the oven for a few minutes to soften.
- Make sure you cook the cookies enough, otherwise they won't be crispy when cooled. The entire cookie should come out crispy. I usually shoot for about a 50-75% brown-to-golden ratio on the surface.
Per Serving: 47 calories; 1.2 8.3 0.9 3 30 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1