Instant Pot® Crispy Chicken Carnitas
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 236
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle over chicken breasts on both sides.
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sear chicken breasts, 1 to 2 minutes per side, working in batches so chicken sears rather than steams. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add garlic and onion to the hot cooker; cook and stir until browned evenly on all sides, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pressure cooker along with lime juice, chicken broth, cilantro, chipotle pepper with 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, orange zest and juice, and bay leaf. Close and lock the lid. Set timer for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on size of chicken breasts.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, milk, chipotle pepper and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, salt, and garlic powder to an electric blender. Blend chipotle sauce until smooth.
- Release pressure from the cooker using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a clean surface and reserve cooking liquid. Shred chicken meat using 2 forks. Place in a large bowl and drizzle 1/4 cup cooking liquid over chicken; toss to coat. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over the surface of a baking sheet. Add chicken to the sheet and drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon oil on top. Stir to coat evenly.
- Broil chicken in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Toss chicken with 1 to 2 tablespoons reserved cooking liquid and rotate the pan for even broiling. Continue broiling until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve with chipotle sauce.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use chicken thighs instead of breasts, if you'd like.
- Leftover chipotle peppers in adobo sauce can be kept in a zip-top bag in the freezer.
- Instead of releasing pressure naturally, you can also use the vent setting if available, allowing to vent completely before removing the lid.
Per Serving: 236 calories; 15.3 4.7 19.6 56 186 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1