Spicy Steamed Chicken in Parchment
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"In this recipe, chicken is marinated overnight in a tangy, spicy Mexican sauce, wrapped in parchment paper, steamed until moist and tender, and served with rice. This unique way of cooking chicken ensures the most tender meat you have ever eaten. Try it with pork or beef too! Tone it down by including fewer or no chipotles."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 25 m servings 485
Original recipe yields 8 servings (4 parchment packets)
- Reconstitute dried ancho chile peppers by placing in a bowl, covering with boiling water, and letting sit for 10 minutes. Do the same with the chipotle chile peppers, but give them 15 minutes to sit.
- Remove ancho chile peppers from the water, remove seeds and veins, and cut into small strips. Remove chipotle chile peppers from the water and remove stems, leaving peppers whole.
- Combine ancho chiles, chipotle chiles, tomato sauce, and garlic in a blender and process until fairly smooth. While mixing, add cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper to the marinade and blend.
- Place chicken breasts and thighs in a large bowl and cover with marinade. Cover and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Divide chicken and sauce evenly onto 4 sheets of parchment paper and tie closed with string.
- Pour equal amounts of beer and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add a bamboo steamer and place parchment packets inside. Steam until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and juices run clear, about 35 minutes.
- Serve chicken with hot cooked rice and garnish with cilantro.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute the chipotles or remove them, but do not substitute the anchos, as they are mild and give a good, raisin-like, earthy flavor to the dish.
- I do not recommend boneless chicken.
Per Serving: 485 calories; 18.3 17.1 56.8 162 332 Full nutrition