Vegan Moroccan Stew
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"This is what I have tried as an imitation of a 'Moroccan stew' I had at a vegan restaurant many years ago. I used to work down the street and had this probably twice a week for lunch, but now it's an hour and a half drive away, so I had to try to make it myself! I like to have mine over lentils that have simple wilted greens mixed in such as Swiss chard, kale, spinach, etc."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 305
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Toast cumin and coriander seeds in a dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a mortar and crush with a pestle to break some seeds but leave many whole. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and lemon zest; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, allspice, and toasted spice mixture. Stir until evenly coated, being careful not to burn spices, about 1 minute.
- Pour broth into the pot and bring to a simmer, about 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes and lemon juice. Add carrots, butternut squash, and sweet potato. Mix to combine and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Taste stew and season with more salt, if desired.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley over the stew to add some green color to it as well.
- If you'd like your vegetables to be softer, let stew simmer for up to 2 hours.
Per Serving: 305 calories; 8 59.9 6.2 0 1200 Full nutrition