Vegan Mushroom Thanksgiving Stuffing
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"I made this recipe about 5 years ago. After trying expensive croutons from a gourmet cooking store, I decided I could make them myself! This vegan mushroom stuffing immediately became a family (and friends) favorite. You can eliminate the mushrooms if you don't like them. You can make the homemade croutons days before and store them in zip-top bags or plastic containers, which makes the stuffing a whole lot easier. Try it for Thanksgiving!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h servings 183
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Spread cubed bread on a baking sheet. Cover with a paper towel and let sit at room temperature until slightly stale, at least 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Toss stale bread cubes with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, garlic salt, and white pepper. Spread evenly on the baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Stir and continue baking until crispy, about 20 minutes more, checking frequently. Remove from the oven and set homemade croutons aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large baking pan.
- Heat margarine in a large pan over medium heat. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Add broth and white pepper and simmer for 3 minutes more. Add homemade croutons and stir, transferring mixture to a large bowl if necessary. Pour stuffing mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the hot oven, uncovered, for about 40 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Feel free to use your favorite dried herbs or 1/2 cup of your favorite fresh herbs.
- I like to use natural, organic, unsalted broth from the soup aisle.
- You can use butter in place of olive oil and margarine and chicken stock in place of vegetable stock, if you are ok with a vegetarian (but not vegan) stuffing.
- If you prefer a soggy stuffing, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil before baking.
Per Serving: 183 calories; 9.4 20.6 4.3 0 573 Full nutrition