Real Southern Herbed Cornbread Stuffing
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"NO bread, NO oysters, NO sausage, NO Eggs, NO Giblets. Simply the best cornbread stuffing you will ever put in your mouth. This is one of those 'secret' recipes handed down from my grandmother's grandmother. It has never been written down until now, but was taught in the kitchen to each generation during the holidays while helping grandma prepare the stuffing and listening to the stories of when they were little girls in the kitchen helping their grandmas."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 364
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place crumbled cornbread into a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and saute onion, apple, and celery until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add to crumbled cornbread. Season with sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and salt. Add turkey broth 1 cup at a time and stir after each addition until stuffing is moist. Adjust turkey broth amount to your liking, less if you like the stuffing a little drier or more of you like it more moist. Place stuffing in a large baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, turning stuffing over every 20 minutes by scraping the bottom of the pan.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Bake the cornbread from scratch if you have time, otherwise use a packaged cornbread mix. Bake cornbread until the bottom is golden brown and edges are very crusty but not burned. Once cooled, crumble in a large bowl.
- Chicken broth can substituted for the turkey broth.
Per Serving: 364 calories; 22.4 34.7 6.4 73 1566 Full nutrition