Authentic Fire-Roasted Tex-Mex Salsa
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"It has taken me years to perfect this recipe. Los Cucos is my favorite TexMex restaurant in Houston, and I used to eat there every 2 weeks, just so I would order a pint of red salsa to go to take home with me. I was addicted to the stuff, it's the best salsa in the world. I finally mastered my own version, which tastes nearly identical to Los Cucos's red salsa."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients20 m servings 14
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 pint)
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler to high.
- Spray a 9x13-inch glass casserole dish with cooking spray. Arrange tomatoes in the prepared dish with cut sides down. Add onion and jalapeno.
- Broil until tomato skins are blackened and blistered, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove onion and jalapeno halfway through cooking time, once skins are slightly softened.
- Combine broiled vegetables in a blender; add cilantro, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon garlic salt. Pulse until smooth. Taste and season with remaining garlic salt as desired.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Use 8 small Roma tomatoes if you can't find 5 large ones.
- For a spicier salsa, feel free to add more jalapenos.
Per Serving: 14 calories; 0.2 3.4 0.6 0 343 Full nutrition