Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 574
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Bring 2 cups water and rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and water has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While rice cooks, add 1/2 cup water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add a steamer insert and place broccoli in the pot. Cover and simmer until lightly steamed, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter in a single layer, uncovered, so florets remain bright green and do not continue cooking from their own residual heat.
- Slice the long strip of skirt steak into 2-inch long pieces. Cut those pieces across the grain (for tenderness) and on the bias (for width) into slices that are about 1/4-inch thick. Place beef into a mixing bowl and sprinkle in cornstarch. Stir to coat thoroughly, unfolding any folded slices. Let meat rest for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Sriracha sauce, paprika, ginger, sesame oil, and garlic powder in a large saucepan. Stir in white parts of scallions and water chestnuts. Heat just to boiling, then reduce to a slow simmer. Stir sauce frequently until reduced and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- While sauce thickens, heat a large nonstick frying pan until sizzling. Add oil and heat until shimmering. Shake excess cornstarch from beef and place 1/2 of them into the pan without crowding. Cook briefly on both sides until they just start to brown, 3 to 4 minutes; do not cook fully. Transfer to a plate and cook remaining slices, adding oil if needed.
- Transfer all beef to the simmering sauce and stir to coat. Simmer to finish cooking the beef, 2 to 3 minutes, making sure not to overcook. Stir in broccoli and green parts of scallions. Heat 1 minute longer.
- Serve immediately over cooked rice. Let diners add crushed red pepper flakes as they wish.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Flap meat also works well. Third choice: flank steak.
Per Serving: 574 calories; 19.6 78.8 23 25 1015 Full nutrition