Strawberry-Lemon Poke Cake
14 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 10 m servings 232
Original recipe yields 24 servings (1 9x13-inch cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Combine cake mix, water, eggs, oil, and 1 box lemon pudding in a large bowl; beat using an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 28 to 33 minutes. Immediately after baking, poke holes in the cake with about 1-inch spacing. Set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- While cake is baking, combine one 8-ounce container of whipped topping with remaining package of lemon pudding mix in a small bowl. Mix until pudding is well incorporated. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add one 16-ounce package of diced strawberries to a saucepan with sugar, cornstarch, and 2 teaspoons lemon zest. Cook over medium heat until it begins to boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until strawberries soften, sugar has fully dissolved, and syrup has thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove cake from the oven and set aside to cool, about 20 minutes. Spread lemon pudding mixture evenly across the cooled cake, allowing it to go into the holes. Pour and spread strawberry syrup mixture on top of the lemon layer. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Frost cake with remaining 8 ounces of whipped topping and top with remaining strawberries and remaining lemon zest.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use a 21-ounce box of gluten-free cake mix instead of a 15.25-ounce box of regular, if you'd like.
- Strawberries can be mashed after cooking using a potato masher for a smoother sauce if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- The directions for making the cake are based on the particular brand mentioned. Follow instructions on the box if using a different brand.
Per Serving: 232 calories; 8.9 35.5 1.7 21 232 Full nutrition