Eggless Chocolate Gelato
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 15 m servings 227
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 /2 gallon)
- Bring 2 1/4 cups milk just to a boil over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan.
- While milk is heating, whisk sugar, 1/4 cup cold milk, cornstarch, and salt together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk cold mixture into the boiling milk and bring to a boil over medium heat; let boil for 3 minutes, whisking constantly until mixture is very thick. Remove from heat.
- Place chocolate into a mixing bowl.
- Bring remaining 1/2 cup cold milk just to a boil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Pour hot milk over chocolate and let stand until chocolate melts, about 1 minute. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir chocolate mixture into cornstarch-milk mixture. Force through a fine-mesh sieve into a mixing bowl. Let cool slightly, stirring frequently to prevent a skin from forming. Cover surface with wax paper. Chill in a refrigerator until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour mixture into a gelato or ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, about 15 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze in a freezer until hardened if necessary.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Do yourself a favor and don't skip the important step of straining the mixture through a sieve before freezing. I've done it both ways. Although it turned out good without straining, I can tell a difference in the smoothness when it's strained. Gelato must be very smooth!
- Gelato should be served soft. If it is frozen hard, you can place it in a refrigerator for about 30 minutes or so to let it soften.
- The chocolate you use to make this gelato is very important. I've used 75% cocoa and it was a little too bitter and strong for us. Some people like their chocolate like that, so go for it if you're one of those. Next time (and every time after) I used 60% cocoa, and it's perfecto!
- Once the gelato is ready to serve, be prepared for the rush! It's delizioso!
Per Serving: 227 calories; 11.2 27.1 4.6 10 111 Full nutrition