Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients12 h 45 m servings 80
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 1/2 quarts)
- Mix lemon juice and cornstarch together in a small bowl and pour into a blender. Add strawberries, soy milk, sugar, sweetener, and salt; blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a pot. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently to keep from burning, until mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken, 10 to 15 minutes. Cover and chill thoroughly, 8 hours to overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, in 2 batches if necessary, about 20 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Sour salt is available in some supermarkets. If you can't get it, use more lemon juice, but remember that that adds more water that will become ice in the finished product.
- Consistency will obviously be a little grainier than something that contains an appreciable amount of fat, but as a healthy alternative this is fantastic. The tangy strawberry packs a really flavorful punch.
- I used liquid sucralose drops instead of granulated Splenda®, to sweeten to taste. I also tweaked the tartness with citric acid crystals (sour salt). You want the mix to be a little too sweet at room temperature, because you'll taste the sweetness less after freezing.
- Mix will come out like soft-serve, and can then be either served, or decanted and frozen. To serve it from the freezer, you'll need to let it stand at room temperature for a bit before it will scoop, but it will nicely.
Per Serving: 80 calories; 0.7 17.7 1.5 0 21 Full nutrition