Golden Tomato and Peach Salsa
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Karen Barris Calabro
"This golden sweet and mild salsa is a great solution for those heirloom yellow or orange tomatoes and combines well with peaches, which are being harvested at the same time. It is a favorite of the kids who are not always fond of typical salsas and shy from spicy foods. It also makes an excellent gift as a unique canned good."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients14 h 5 m servings 5
Original recipe yields 256 servings (8 pints)
- Combine tomatoes, onion, sugar, chiles, vinegar, canning salt, cumin, and fruit preserver in a large stockpot. Add peaches last to prevent discoloration; toss with other ingredients to combine. Heat over high heat and cook salsa at a high boil for 30 minutes.
- While salsa boils, inspect 8 pint jars for cracks and rings for rust, discarding any defective ones. Immerse in simmering water until salsa is ready. Wash new, unused lids and rings in warm soapy water.
- Remove salsa from heat. Let cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Strain salsa mixture using a fine-mesh strainer over a separate bowl or pot. Add only enough liquid to cover. Stir in cilantro.
- Pack salsa into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of the top. Run a clean knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars to remove any air bubbles. Wipe rims with a moist paper towel to remove any residue. Top with lids and screw rings on tightly.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars 2 inches apart into the boiling water using a holder. Pour in more boiling water to cover jars by at least 1 inch. Bring to a rolling boil, cover, and process for 30 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and let rest, several inches apart, for 12 to 24 hours. Press the center of each lid with a finger to ensure the lid does not move up or down. Remove the rings for storage and store in a cool, dark area.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- It is possible to keep the original cooking liquid in the salsa for a thinner salsa product, however I use this liquid as a base for a tortilla soup!
Per Serving: 5 calories; 0 1.3 0.1 0 28 Full nutrition