Peruvian Potato-Chicken Salad (Causa Rellena)
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 658
- Combine chicken, green peas, carrot, shallot, roasted red peppers, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and cayenne. Add mayonnaise and mix until combined. Cover chicken salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place potatoes into a pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until very tender but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Drain well and transfer potatoes to a mixing bowl. Mash until smooth.
- Add jai amarillo, olive oil, and lime juice to the potatoes. Season with cayenne and salt. Mash together with the potato masher. Switch to a spatula and mix until completely smooth.
- Line four 6-ounce ramekins with plastic wrap. Scoop mashed potatoes evenly into ramekins; press and smooth out the tops. Cover each with a layer of avocado slices. Fill ramekin to the top with chicken salad, pressing it down and pulling up the plastic wrap to eliminate any air pockets. Cover with a final layer of mashed potatoes, going up to 1/2 inch or more over the rim.
- Seal top with a new layer of plastic wrap and fold the sides over to seal. Refrigerate salads until completely chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, and aji amarillo together for the sauce, adding a splash of water to adjust the thickness.
- Remove the top layer of plastic wrap from each salad. Invert each ramekin onto a serving plate; remove ramekins, then plastic wrap. Spoon some sauce around each salad.
- Chef's Notes:
- If you can't find aji amarillo, you can make a paste from some fire-roasted and peeled orange or red bell peppers, with red Fresno chilies for some heat. While this does get you close, you should definitely try to find a jar of the real stuff, since it does have such a unique flavor.
- You can also use russet potatoes.
- You can use fresh peas that have been blanched or frozen peas that have been thawed.
- Substitute red onion for the shallot if desired.
Per Serving: 658 calories; 49.1 41.4 19.2 58 391 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
High marks for flavor, texture and presentation. I followed the recipe/directions as written. I got the aji amarillo chili paste online from the retailer that begins with a W. The aji gives it...
Extraordinarily unique and interesting. What I really like is the endless possibilities available with this recipe and it really surprises guests, since not many people have had it before. I ...