Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients12 h 40 m servings 286
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Rinse beans. Combine with 3 quarts of cold water in a large pot. Soak 8 hours to overnight.
- Drain beans and return to the pot. Add 3 quarts fresh water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until tender, 1 to 2 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a 4-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and stir until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, stir for a minute, then add bison and cook until browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir tomatoes and liquid into stockpot.
- Combine red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, chili powder, sea salt, white pepper, and paprika in a small container and stir to mix. Add to the stockpot and stir through. Add 1 cup water and stir gently while bringing water to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Taste bison mixture and adjust seasoning as desired. Add beans and mix through. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon masa flour on top and gently stir in to achieve a medium-thick consistency. Cover and simmer chili over low heat for 1 hour.
- Uncover chili, stir, and add another tablespoon masa flour. Continue simmering, uncovered, over low heat to desired consistency, 60 to 90 minutes. Cover the pot or add a teaspoon of masa flour to control consistency.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Do not salt the bean water; it will make the beans cook more slowly.
- Use bison suet in place of vegetable oil, if you have it.
- Cut the kernels from leftover corn on the cob and add about 1 cup when you add the beans.
Per Serving: 286 calories; 9.5 28.3 24 44 271 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1