Summer Vegetable Casserole in the Slow Cooker
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Barbara Anderson Bruneau
"When your garden is overflowing with zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes, this is the dish to make. It's a versatile casserole that can be easily adapted to your taste and available ingredients. It's a great accompaniment for grilled meats, or turn it into a one-dish meal by adding diced chicken, turkey, or firm tofu. Using a slow cooker keeps the kitchen cool."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 25 m servings 305
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add zucchini and yellow squash cover, and steam until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well and and transfer to a bowl.
- Add bell pepper and onion to the bowl with the squash, mix, and set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add mayonnaise, Cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Add squash mixture and 1/2 the butter and mix well. Pour into a 5-quart slow cooker. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes. Top with breadcrumbs and dot with remaining butter.
- Cook casserole on Low for 4 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- If you're doing meat in your oven, this dish can be put in a casserole and baked at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Turn this into a one-dish meal by adding diced chicken, turkey, or firm tofu.
- For a spicier dish, add banana peppers or finely chopped jalapeno, or use grated pepper Jack cheese.
- Use green bell pepper, if you prefer. You can use just zucchini or only yellow squash, if you prefer. Substitute Monterey Jack or Parmesan cheese for the Cheddar cheese or use a combination.
Per Serving: 305 calories; 25.5 13.8 7 74 310 Full nutrition