Swedish St. Lucia Buns
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 198
Original recipe yields 24 servings (24 buns)
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add sugar, butter, salt, and saffron, stirring until butter is melted. Let cool to lukewarm temperature, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl, stirring until dissolved. Stir in milk mixture and 3 1/2 cups flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in eggs. Add remaining flour gradually, mixing in the last by hand until dough leaves the sides of the bowl and is very soft.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover with a bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough with additional flour as needed, about 5 minutes. Place dough in a lightly greased large bowl; flip dough to grease both sides. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 60 to 90 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Punch down dough. Take golf ball-sized bits of dough and roll out into snakes. Roll each end in opposite directions to create 'S' forms. Place buns on the prepared baking sheets.
- Combine egg yolk and water in a bowl with a whisk. Brush over buns.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven, leaving oven on. Quickly place 1 raisin in the center of each 'S' curve.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake until golden and cooked through, about 6 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
You might also like
Per Serving: 198 calories; 5 33.2 4.7 35 136 Full nutrition