Healthier Pulled Pork Sandwiches
"Some easy tricks to making healthier pulled pork sandwiches include using a leaner cut of meat, choosing a lower-calorie barbecue sauce, and serving your sandwiches with smaller buns and a lower-fat coleslaw. To top it all off, this recipe is made in the slow cooker, so it doesn't get easier than this!"
Featured in Allrecipes Magazine — Subscribe!
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 20 m servings 351
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Put onion in a 4-quart slow cooker; top with pork. Stir chili powder, paprika, cumin, chipotle pepper, black pepper, and dry mustard together in a small bowl; sprinkle over pork. Pour water over pork. Cook, covered, on Low until pork is very tender, about 6 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return pork to juices in the cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce.
- Spoon 1/3 cup pork evenly onto each bun bottom; top each with 1/2 cup slaw and top bun.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- We chose to top the pork with a red cabbage version of our Bright Idea Slaw: First mix 2 cups shredded cabbage with 2 cups matchstick-cut green apples and 2 tablespoons green onions. Whisk together 1/4 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt, 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons honey, 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds, and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in another bowl. Add to vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Makes 6 half-cup servings.
- If you don't like vinegar-based sauces, try Annie's™ Organic Original BBQ Sauce.
Per Serving: 351 calories; 8.5 49.7 17.9 40 517 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Hello--I followed the recipe, including the quantities and measurements. The only thing different for me was that I have a 7-qt. crockpot (?!). I realize that, using a larger unit means a hotte...