Peach Cobbler with Buttermilk Ice Cream
"Who doesn't love a fresh peach cobbler to cap off a summer cookout? It's easy, fruity, and a total crowd pleaser. To make this summer staple even better, here's how to cobble together a tangy homemade buttermilk ice cream to go with it!"
Featured in Allrecipes Magazine — Subscribe!
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h 30 m servings 500
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9x13-inch cobbler)
- Whisk egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl. Stir cream and remaining sugar together in a saucepan over low heat; bring to a simmer, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Slowly pour cream mixture into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return mixture to the saucepan; cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then whisk in buttermilk, vanilla, and salt. Let cool completely, at least 30 minutes. Chill at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for the cobbler.
- Wash the fuzz off of the peaches and cut into wedges. Toss peach wedges with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Place butter in the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole dish and melt it in the oven, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in half-and-half, vanilla, and almond extract to form a loose batter; pour into baking dish over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon peaches evenly over batter, without stirring.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and peaches are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute vanilla extract for the vanilla paste if desired.
- You can use whipping cream instead of heavy cream and light cream instead of half-and-half.
Per Serving: 500 calories; 29.5 53.8 6.5 289 501 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1