Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 258
Original recipe yields 24 servings (2 braided loaves)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Beat eggs and egg yolk together in a small bowl. Scoop out 2 tablespoons of beaten egg; keep refrigerated.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees F (75 degrees C).
- Combine sugar, margarine, and salt in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly until dissolved. Add warm and cool cream to the bowl. Stir in yeast mixture. Beat in eggs. Add flour 1 cup at a time, blending well between additions.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray. Place dough inside and spray the top.
- Cover dough with a dish cloth. Turn off oven and place dough inside. Allow to rest until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the bowl and knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Split in half; split each half into thirds. Roll each section of dough into long, 24-inch snakes. Braid 3 together, making sure to secure the ends. Repeat with the remaining 3 sections.
- Reheat the oven to 170 degrees F (75 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Transfer braids to the cookie sheet.
- Turn off oven. Let braids rise in the warm oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove braids from the oven and brush with reserved beaten egg. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake braids in the preheated oven until tops are golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can keep the braid straight or join the ends together into a wreath shape.
Per Serving: 258 calories; 9.8 36.9 5.5 56 159 Full nutrition