Vegan Spiced Black Beans for a Crowd
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 30 m servings 202
Original recipe yields 50 servings
- Heat oil in a 12-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beans and enough water to cover by 3 to 4 inches. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, dried onion, mustard seeds, chile pods, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cumin seeds, oregano, brown sugar, and epazote. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Uncover and increase heat to high. Boil, stirring from the bottom to make sure the beans do not burn, mashing a bit as you stir, until the sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes. Season with salt.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Ancho chile pods can be used instead of pasilla chile pods. You can also substitute 24 cardamom pods for the ground cardamom; just crush the pods and remove the seeds.
- Olive oil may be used in place of avocado oil. Dried cilantro can be substituted for dried epazote. Use 6 teaspoons fresh oregano instead of dried if desired.
- If you are not serving these right away, pour into shallow pans to cool quickly. The pans can be frozen and reheated gently--warmed in the oven and then kept warm on a steaming table over hot water. Warning: the bottom will burn if there is not enough liquid!
Per Serving: 202 calories; 3.4 33.9 11 0 116 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1