Jalapeno Popper Mac 'n Cheese
"With an abundance of jalapenos in the garden, I was looking for new ways to use them, and this popper mac 'n cheese is a great one! This recipe is easily adjustable to add more heat or to take it away. The amount of jalapenos used in this recipe will yield a nice, spicy mac 'n cheese without being too over-the-top spicy. The mac 'n cheese itself is rich and creamy. Enjoy!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 333
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 1 1/2-quart baking dish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to pot; set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapenos; cook until just softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in flour, coating vegetables well. Whisk in milk slowly until smooth. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Season sauce with garlic powder, seasoned salt, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in processed cheese and cream cheese until melted and sauce is smooth, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Pour macaroni into cheese sauce and stir to coat completely. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels. Cool briefly.
- Crumble bacon and mix with panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni. Top with jalapeno slices.
- Bake, uncovered, until browned and bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can also use 2 tablespoons butter plus 2 tablespoons bacon grease instead of 1/4 cup butter, if desired.
Per Serving: 333 calories; 15.5 33.8 14.4 45 786 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1