Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 440
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9x13-inch baking dish)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove ground beef with a slotted spoon. Drain and discard the grease; wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Reduce heat to medium and add onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is just browning, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce begins to thicken, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in cream and 2 tablespoons basil; cook until thick, about 2 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, combine ricotta cheese, olive oil, remaining basil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Remove tomato sauce from the heat. Add ground beef and tortellini; stir to combine.
- Spread 1/2 of the beef-tortellini sauce mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Layer with the ricotta cheese mixture, the remaining sauce mixture, and the mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Vegetable oil may be substituted for canola oil, if desired. Italian sausage may be used in place of ground beef.
- You can use low-fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese; just pulse several times in a food processor until the cottage cheese is smooth.
- You can save time by using marinara sauce from a jar. Just combine meat, sauce, and tortellini, skipping the onion and garlic. Also, if you're in a big hurry, omit the ricotta mixture, although I think it's worth the extra time to give it that more authentic Italian feel.
Per Serving: 440 calories; 24.2 31.7 24 85 650 Full nutrition