Vegan Cashew Alfredo Sauce
"As someone who is lactose intolerant and loves Italian cream-based sauces, I have searched high and low for a decent, easy to make recipe for vegan/non-dairy alfredo sauce. I have experimented with as many of the ones I could find on the internet and have finally come close. I have used this on pasta tossed with sauteed veggies, and as a white sauce (bechamel sauce) in lasagna. It doesn't reheat well in the microwave, but will re-heat on the stove on low for 5 minutes. There are many variations out there but I am pretty happy with this one. You can add spices to change the flavor."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings 284
Original recipe yields 3 servings (1 1/2 cups)
- Soak cashews in 1 1/2 cups water until softened in a bowl, at least 20 minutes.
- Drain water; add almond milk. Blend mixture in an electric blender or food processor until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add water until sauce is slightly thinner than you want it for the final product, as it thickens when heated. Add garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan. Heat on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through and desired thickness is achieved, about 5 minutes. You can add additional water or almond milk if sauce becomes too thick.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use soy milk instead of almond milk, or a combination of both. Or, if you don't have milk, I've done this with just water. The sauce is a bit thinner and less creamy (the cashews don't seem to blend as well in just water), but the taste is very similar.
- I have soaked the cashews from 20 minutes to 12 hours. It allows them to blend a bit smoother.
- Using a blender is easier to pour from than a food processor.
Per Serving: 284 calories; 21.4 17.8 9.9 0 1074 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1