Vegan Rustic Strawberry Tart (French Galette)
1 made it | 0 reviews |
"What could be better than ripe summer strawberries? This recipe uses mostly whole wheat flour and no eggs, butter, or dairy for a healthier twist on the conventional tart. It is the perfect vegan summer dessert to wow your family and guests! Using fruits that are local and in season lends a deeper flavor to dishes. Embrace fruits that are in season this summer and use peaches, blueberries, and nectarines too! Slice and enjoy with a fresh espresso, tea, or coffee!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 313
Original recipe yields 6 servings (1 7-inch tart)
- Sift pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sea salt, and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl. Add coconut oil and begin incorporating into the flour using a pastry cutter or 2 knives. Continue to work oil into flour until mixture takes on a sand-like consistency, 5 to 10 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to mix maple syrup and almond extract into dough. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time; mix using the wooden spoon until dough is putty-like and can be formed into a disc using your hands. Wrap the dough disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and place the disc between 2 sheets of parchment paper. If dough feels stiff, let it rest until soft enough to roll, about 5 minutes. Use a rolling pin to roll dough into a circle slightly larger than 9-inches in diameter and roughly 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Use a pastry wheel to trim edges to a 9-inch circle. Remove and discard the top sheet of parchment paper. Slide pastry circle, still resting on the bottom parchment paper, onto a baking sheet.
- Place strawberries into a mixing bowl and add about 1 tablespoon sugar; toss to coat. Mix remaining sugar and bread crumbs in a separate bowl and pour onto the center of the pastry circle and spread out evenly, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Gently arrange strawberries over the bread crumb mixture working from the center out.
- Use a pastry wheel or knife to gently score about 6 lines around the perimeter of strawberries on the pastry, allowing you to easily fold over the edges of the tart to create a crust. Place tart in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Remove tart from the refrigerator. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove tart from oven and use a pastry brush to glaze top with maple syrup. Continue baking until the top and edges of crust are firm and browned, about 10 minutes more.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Feel free to use the unrefined sugar of your choice in place of coconut sugar.
Per Serving: 313 calories; 18.8 34.2 3.2 0 142 Full nutrition