Stovetop Fried Coconut Shrimp
12 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients30 m servings 387
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Fill a 9-inch cast iron skillet with 1/2 inch of peanut oil. Clip a thermometer onto the side of the skillet and turn heat to medium-high; heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place several layers of paper towels on a platter; set aside.
- Whisk salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl until even in color. Add cornstarch and mix until blended. Whisk eggs thoroughly in a second bowl. Mix sweetened and unsweetened coconut in a third bowl until well combined.
- Pat shrimp dry. Dredge each shrimp in the cornstarch mixture until thoroughly coated; set on a plate. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Dip each shrimp in egg and then roll in the coconut mixture, pressing a reasonable amount of coconut onto shrimp. Return shrimp to the plate. Add more coconut as needed.
- Place shrimp, one at a time, into the hot oil, going counterclockwise. Flip shrimp after 90 seconds. Cook until meat is opaque, another 20 to 60 seconds more. Place shrimp on the prepared platter and allow to drain while you cook the remaining shrimp. Allow the oil to return to temperature between batches.
You might also like
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of breading ingredients. The actual amount of breading consumed will vary. We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 387 calories; 26.1 15.9 22.8 266 560 Full nutrition