Helen's Eggplant Soup
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"This is a good way to use my sister Jeanne's eggplant that her garden produces all summer. The vegetables are all cut the same way, so your kids will eat it too! Just don't say it is eggplant soup! My sister has been hounding me for this recipe ever since she tasted it at my summer job in Wolfeboro, NH. Bon appetit!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 77
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over low heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and cook until white, about 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Season soup with basil, oregano, and pepper. Add water and vegetable soup base and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Add zucchini and summer squash to the soup and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in eggplant and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more. Fold in cooked pasta and adjust seasonings.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- This recipe is designed to use up that abundance of eggplant. You can eliminate the zucchini and summer squash and substitute eggplant if you like.
- If you want kids to enjoy it, dice all vegetables the same and add cooked shell or elbow pasta to their servings.
- This soup can be frozen and enjoyed throughout the winter months.
Per Serving: 77 calories; 1.8 13.4 2.5 0 89 Full nutrition