Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 200
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 bread sticks)
- Mix 2 tablespoons sugar with water until dissolved. Add yeast and let sit until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining sugar, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Combine sourdough starter and egg yolk in a separate bowl. Whisk egg white lightly and reserve in the refrigerator.
- Pour yeast and sourdough mixtures over the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough starts to form and all dry ingredients are incorporated. Turn out onto a work surface and knead into a smooth ball.
- Spray the inside of the bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in the bowl and cover with a cloth. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide into 12 portions. Roll out into small balls; shape into 3- to 4-inch-long sticks. Divide bread sticks between 2 greased or nonstick pans. Cover with cloths and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until light brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove 1 pan at a time and brush tops with egg white. Continue baking until medium brown, 5 to 10 minutes more.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Add any toppings you like after brushing bread sticks with egg white.
- You can use a stand mixer to mix the dough and knead it with the dough hook if preferred.
- Let cool fully and place in a zip-top bag to freeze. Will last 6 to 8 months in the freezer with no change in the taste or consistency. To thaw: just place them in the oven at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes. Need them fast? Pop them in the microwave for 1 minute at power level 8 and put them in the oven for 4 minutes at 400 degrees F (200 degree C).
Per Serving: 200 calories; 0.9 40.9 6.3 14 205 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1