Vegetarian Indian Aloo Chana Masala
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"I created this vegetarian Indian dish a couple weeks ago, and my 13-year-old son and husband are addicted to it. It has already become a regular staple in our home. It is perfectly spicy with an amazing aroma and a touch of sweetness from the sweet potatoes. Serve over Indian basmati rice and enjoy the exotic flavors. We use unsalted pumpkin seeds or unsalted cashews for a delicious crunchy garnish."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h 5 m servings 321
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Soak garbanzo beans in water for 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse beans and transfer to a pot. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and set beans aside.
- Place sweet potatoes and russet potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add tomatoes to a blender and process until pureed.
- Combine curry powder, cumin, garam masala, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl, mixing well and adjusting spices as needed.
- Melt ghee in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until very browned with minimal stirring, about 10 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic, and ginger and cook while stirring for 2 minutes more. Add spice mixture and cook, string constantly, until very fragrant, 2 more minutes.
- Add drained garbanzo beans, cooked sweet and russet potatoes, pureed tomatoes, and coconut milk to the onion mixture in the pan. Stir well and bring to a simmer, about 5 minutes. Cook until heated through, about 10 more minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- If you do not have time to cook dried beans, simply use 2 cans of garbanzo beans in water and cook only 15 minutes in the vegetable broth.
- You may also add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar, depending on your taste. We love sweet and spicy.
- This vegetarian dish keeps well in the fridge up to 5 days, as it does not have dairy or meat products. However, my family won't let it last that long!
Per Serving: 321 calories; 13.3 44.2 9.5 7 741 Full nutrition