Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 5 m servings 108
Original recipe yields 18 servings (3 round loaves)
- Place water, milk, olive oil, sourdough starter, sugar, salt, flour, and vital wheat gluten in a bread machine in the order listed. Sprinkle yeast over flour. Start Dough cycle. Remove dough from the machine after the cycle is done, about 90 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Flour hands and a bench knife well before handling the dough, but try not to add too much extra flour to the dough itself. Divide dough into 3 equal sections and form into round loaves. Place loaves on pieces of generously floured parchment paper and cover with large bowls, not touching the loaves themselves. Let rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes.
- Place a Dutch oven on the lowest rack of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Carefully lift 1 piece of parchment paper by the ends and transfer to the hot Dutch oven. Place lid back on the Dutch oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven until loaf is golden, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until top is golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes more. Lift up loaf with with parchment paper and place on a towel to cool. Bake remaining 2 loaves in the same way.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- This bread freezes exceptionally well. Just thaw and reheat at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 3 to 5 minutes to refresh crust.
- The vital wheat gluten is optional. I find it makes a slightly chewier loaf, but the bread is absolutely amazing even without it.
Per Serving: 108 calories; 1.2 20 3.8 < 1 199 Full nutrition