Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 225
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 large pretzels)
- Combine flour, sourdough starter, water, powdered milk, butter, brown sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix until dough comes together. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough is dry.
- Remove dough from the bowl and shape into a ball. Clean and dry bowl; grease lightly. Return dough to the bowl. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly greased surface. Fold and shape into a rectangle. Divide equally into 12 pieces. Keep pieces covered with plastic wrap while working. Roll out 1 piece at a time into a rope about 18 inches long.
- Loop and twist 1 rope into a pretzel shape. Place on a baking sheet while you finish rolling out and shaping the remaining pretzels.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in baking soda until dissolved. Lower 1 pretzel into the boiling water bath for 30 seconds, flipping halfway through. Remove using a large flat spatula and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water to make egg wash. Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until dark golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush each pretzel with melted butter. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute bread flour for the all-purpose flour, if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of sodium in baking soda. The actual amount consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 225 calories; 7.4 33.3 6.3 33 1716 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1