Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Ermine Frosting
11 made it | 0 reviews |
"This is a cake made for poppy seed lovers! It's loaded with poppy seeds and has a light lemon flavor, complemented by a lemon ermine frosting. A deliciously different cake that is really easy to make. I developed this recipe in memory of my grandma, who loved a good poppy seed cake. Sprinkle the cake with additional poppy seeds, if desired."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 377
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt in a small bowl.
- Combine butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in Greek yogurt. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add the flour mixture gradually, folding together until just combined. Spoon thick batter into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before transferring to a cake platter or plate to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the ermine frosting. Combine milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until sugar is dissolved, then add flour. Whisk until no lumps remain and the mixture thickens to the consistency of pudding. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Let cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- Beat butter and salt with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the milk-flour mixture, a tablespoon at a time, and beat on medium speed until well combined and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled poppy seed cake.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- The cake as written has a light lemon flavor. If you want more lemon flavor, double the amount of lemon zest in the cake and consider adding zest to the frosting, as well.
- You can use salted butter for the ermine frosting instead of unsalted, and then omit the pinch of salt in the recipe.
Per Serving: 377 calories; 22.5 40.5 4.9 89 109 Full nutrition