Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 395
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
- Place cauliflower in a microwave-safe glass dish with 1/4 cup water. Microwave on high until tender, 11 to 14 minutes. Drain.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, shallots, and celery in the melted butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a separate dish using a slotted spoon.
- Add beef and lamb to the pan. Season with salt and increase heat to high. Cook and stir meat until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully pour in cognac and ignite with a wand lighter. Let flames extinguish on their own; immediately add wine. Reduce heat to low and stir, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until sauce is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add veal stock, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper to the pan. Add vegetables back in. Cook and stir until flavors start to combine, about 5 minutes. Place mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Use a ricer or cheesecloth to squeeze out most of the liquid from the cauliflower. Place cauliflower, heavy cream, sour cream, and white pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth. Spread mixture on top of the meat in the casserole dish. Sprinkle Gruyere cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Use beef stock if veal stock is unavailable.
Per Serving: 395 calories; 26 10.7 24.1 101 299 Full nutrition