Charlotte alla Milanese
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 293 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place apples, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest and wine in a heavy saucepan. Pour in water to cover completely. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered 15 minutes.
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with water. Let soak 10 minutes, then drain and reserve.
- In a small bowl, cream together butter and remaining sugar until well combined. Coat the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish with this butter mixture.
- Butter the top edge of each slice of bread. Starting from the bottom, roll each slice up into a log, using the buttered edge to seal. Cut 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices to form pinwheels. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Line bottom and sides of the greased baking dish with bread rounds. Drain the apples and combine them with the drained raisins. Spoon the fruit mixture into the lined dish. Cover the top with the remaining bread rounds. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour.
- To serve, pour rum over the warm charlotte and light it with a long match or kitchen torch.
Per Serving: 293 calories; 5.4 g fat; 56.1 g carbohydrates; 2.5 g protein; 11 mg cholesterol; 197 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
it is a delicious dessert! very simple to make and still exquisite. It's really a restaurant-like dessert.
Im the Food Service Director at a nursing home. We did this recipe at a candlelight dinner. Set up carts that went through the dining room and flamed each one at each table. Easy to make and ...
This did not work for me.The rum wouldn't catch fire. Turns out you have to use high proof rum. The apples tasted good at least. Don't do this for a group for the first time with out trying it f...