Mississippi Beef Short Ribs
Ingredients3 h 5 m servings 386
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Season short ribs with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add short ribs and sear until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer beef to a baking dish.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion and mushrooms to the pan. Season with salt. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, dill, rosemary, thyme, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over the beef.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion and mushrooms. Stir to coat and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Pour mixture over the beef and cover with pepperoncini. Place butter on top. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until meat is fork-tender and falls apart easily, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Spoon sauce from the bottom of the pan onto the beef to serve. Skim off excess fat as desired.
- Chef's Notes:
- The pieces of short rib I used, which were really just neatly cut pieces of super-marbled chuck, where nice and thick, which means if yours aren't, you'll have to adjust the cooking time.
- The original recipe calls for a few whole pepperoncini, which in hindsight, probably would have worked out better. I used 1/3 cup of sliced peppers, and their intense briny taste almost made this seem too salty. So, like I said in the video, if you do use the sliced ones, be careful not to overdo it.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 34.1 4.5 14.9 75 968 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
This was very flavorful, I really liked it! I copied the seasoning exactly but used a chuck roast I cut into similar rectangular chunks. After prepping, I cooked it in a crockpot. I definitely l...
Great recipe! I love the flavor without all the MSG. I used bone in and it still turned out great!
I don't eat red meat, so I made it with chicken breast and only cooked it for about 30 minutes in the oven and served it over rice. It was fantastic, I'll definitely make it again. The only chan...
For my money, this is the only way to do boneless beef ribs. Since boneless beef ribs are not really ribs at all but from the shoulder area, they need to be done really low and slow. Wonderful ...
another great recipe from chef john. i tweaked two things - i added more mushrooms & used beef stock instead of chicken broth, everything else was per the recipe and it was delicious. i don’t ...