Beet Carpaccio with Mint Vinaigrette
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"A vegetarian alternative to beef carpaccio. This recipe wins over so many people who thought they hated beets or just never wanted to even try them. I was that person once I actually tasted this recipe, well, I was sold and have loved beets ever since. Once beets are steamed and peeled, it is simple and easy. Beets can be prepped a day ahead and stored in a bag or container, but I personally like bringing it all together in one shot."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 154
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Fill a pot with 3 inches of water, insert a steamer basket, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and place beets inside the steamer basket. Cover pot. Cook until beets are easily pierced with a knife, checking water level periodically, 35 to 50 minutes. Remove from heat and cool, about 30 minutes.
- Peel the beets; if you are using red and golden beets, peel the golden ones first so you don't end up turning them pink. Remove any remaining root stems. Thinly slice beets and arrange on a serving platter. I use a round plate and start in the center, alternating red and golden beet slices. Dot the top with goat cheese – you want to be able to see the beets but have enough cheese because it pairs so well with the beet. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Combine rice vinegar, olive oil, mint, and sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle over beets.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- I usually serve this as an appetizer, so the number of servings is dependent on what else is being served. Served alongside other items, this has been enjoyed by 8 to 10, whereas with it as the only appetizer then 6 is more realistic.
- To prep the beets, separate the beetroot from the green tops leaving about 1/2- inch of the stalk. The root end can stay intact. Scrub the outside of the beets.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of beets used. Larger beets will require a longer steam time.
Per Serving: 154 calories; 12.1 8.8 3.4 7 166 Full nutrition