Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 381
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Saute onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add meat, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Stir together and cook until meat is browned and crumbled and almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and oil in a large bowl. Add cornmeal, salt, and baking soda and stir together until batter is combined.
- Transfer meat mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle Mexican cheese blend on top. Pour cornbread batter evenly over meat and arrange jalapeno slices on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cornbread topping is evenly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have buttermilk, you can add 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice to regular milk and let stand for a few minutes as a substitute.
- Use ground turkey in place of beef if you prefer.
Per Serving: 381 calories; 17.4 33.8 21.4 76 1059 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1