Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 230
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 loaf)
- Combine water and yeast and let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, coconut oil, sugar, salt, and yeast mixture in a bowl. Knead until silky-smooth, about 15 minutes. Place dough in a large, lightly-oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan.
- Punch down dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf and place into the prepared pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes for an Italian-style loaf or 45 minutes for a sandwich-style bread.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- If using a bread machine, add the dry ingredients, then start the machine on the dough cycle and slowly add coconut oil and the yeast mixture.
- If you are using a clay baker, soak the baker in water while preheating the oven. Bake the bread for 30 minutes with the cover on, and bake uncovered for 15 additional minutes to get a nice brown crust on top.
- I also use this recipe for naan (just roll out into 1/4-inch-thick discs and fry on a griddle) or pizza (skip the second rising and just roll it out). I use coconut oil or olive oil around the edge of the pizza dough to give the crust a nice golden brown.
- Use 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast and a bit more salt if using this recipe at a low altitude.
Per Serving: 230 calories; 7.6 34.6 5.8 0 293 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Great recipe. I live at 8500 ft. and this turned out wonderful. I did decrease the yeast by 1/2 tsp. and increased flour and liquid by 2 tbs.