Easy Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 349
Original recipe yields 2 servings (2 bell peppers)
- Bring water and barley to a boil in a pot over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer until most of the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add bell peppers, cover, and steam until just tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse peppers under cold water. Cut off the tops and reserve to cover filled peppers.
- Remove barley from heat and keep covered for 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Transfer barley to a large bowl and mix in refried beans. Sprinkle in black pepper and mix well. Stuff the peppers with the barley and refried beans mixture. Arrange peppers in a small baking dish and sprinkle vegan cheese over the filling. Cover with the reserved tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven until centers are very hot, about 30 minutes. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- The green bell peppers can be changed to whatever color you prefer, although green is cheapest and works fine.
- You may want to add your own seasonings, although the refried beans season the barley enough.
Per Serving: 349 calories; 6.1 60.2 14.7 0 791 Full nutrition