Chef John's Queso Dip
Ingredients30 m servings 136
- Grate Cheddar cheese into a bowl. Sprinkle in cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and light parts of the scallions. Sprinkle in salt, chipotle, and cumin. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add green chiles and 1/2 cup tomatoes; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Pour in evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Add the Cheddar cheese and stir just until melted; immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro. Season to taste, adding cayenne if desired. Garnish with reserved green onion parts and 1 tablespoon diced tomato.
- Chef's Notes:
- Any melted cheese, or a combination, goes great in this.
- Make sure you use a tortilla chip to taste for seasoning, as it already has salt on it.
- Since this doesn't get completely firm, even after cooling down, you can make this ahead of time, and just leave it out, although that can be a risky maneuver, as there may not be a lot left when your guests arrive.
Per Serving: 136 calories; 9.5 6.1 7.2 31 427 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This is better than our local Mexican Restaurant offers. I made exactly as written, using half white cheddar and half mont. jack. It is so super easy and quick to make.
This was a big hit with the family. Will be making this again. We ate it like nachos. Was really good with sour cream.