Chef John's Queso Dip
Ingredients30 m servings 136
- Grate Cheddar cheese into a bowl. Sprinkle in cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and light parts of the scallions. Sprinkle in salt, chipotle, and cumin. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add green chiles and 1/2 cup tomatoes; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Pour in evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Add the Cheddar cheese and stir just until melted; immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro. Season to taste, adding cayenne if desired. Garnish with reserved green onion parts and 1 tablespoon diced tomato.
- Chef's Notes:
- Any melted cheese, or a combination, goes great in this.
- Make sure you use a tortilla chip to taste for seasoning, as it already has salt on it.
- Since this doesn't get completely firm, even after cooling down, you can make this ahead of time, and just leave it out, although that can be a risky maneuver, as there may not be a lot left when your guests arrive.
Per Serving: 136 calories; 9.5 6.1 7.2 31 427 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
This is better than our local Mexican Restaurant offers. I made exactly as written, using half white cheddar and half mont. jack. It is so super easy and quick to make.
This was a big hit with the family. Will be making this again. We ate it like nachos. Was really good with sour cream.
Tastes just like the queso at our local Mexican restaurant! I will be making this again.
Subbed 3/4 can of ROTEL for the fresh tomatoes but I'd imagine fresh would be even better. Very easy. Hits the spot but isn't exactly decadent. Could use a bit less cornstarch. I would only make...