Easy Chile Relleno Egg Rolls
"I love chile rellenos, but they can be time consuming to make from scratch. This is a fast fix! Feel free to spoon your favorite ranchera sauce over the top if serving with rice and beans. This recipe comes from my 76-year-old Japanese mother, who learned it from a Filipino lady she used to work with back in the early 80s. If using wonton wrappers, you can serve these as appetizers. Enjoy!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings 175
Original recipe yields 24 servings (24 egg rolls)
- Lay a wrapper on a work surface diagonally so it resembles a diamond. Place a slice of green chile horizontally across the wrapper, 1 inch above the bottom point. Place a strip of Monterey Jack cheese on top of the chile.
- Fill a small bowl with water. Dip an index finger into the water and moisten the edges of the wrapper. Roll the wrapper up and over the chile and cheese, starting from the point closest to you. Bring in both sides, making sure to press firmly to seal the filling. Roll away from you and to enclose the yumminess inside. Repeat with remaining wrappers, chiles, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Heat approximately 1/2 inch of oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Carefully lay a few egg rolls into the hot oil. Fry, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent burning. Repeat with remaining egg rolls.
- Transfer fried egg rolls to a plate lined with paper towels and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- This is a good springboard recipe. The amount of chiles and cheese is a basic guideline. Obviously, if you use more chiles and cheese than specified, your recipe will yield less than 24 egg rolls and vice versa.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 175 calories; 8 18 7.7 19 636 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1