Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 20 m servings 392
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Break stale bread into very small pieces and add to a large bowl. Add beef, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and egg. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and use wet hands to roll mixture into meatballs.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown meatballs on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer meatballs to a platter. Add sausage and pork ribs to the skillet and brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to the platter with the meatballs.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in an 8- to 10-quart pot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add whole tomatoes and mash using a potato masher. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree; cook, stirring frequently.
- Add browned sausage and ribs to the pot. Stir in sugar, basil, bay leaf, and oregano. Cook until bubbling with lid ajar, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cook, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, about 1 hour. Stir in red wine. Continue cooking about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours more.
- Remove sauce from heat and cover. Let sit 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Return sauce to medium heat and add meatballs. Cook, stirring frequently, until bubbling, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to lowest setting until ready to serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use 3/4 pound each beef and pork, or 1/2 pound each beef, pork, and veal, if you prefer. Italian spices can be substituted for the oregano.
- When taking lid off to stir, do not let the water that accumulates on the lid go back in the pot.
- I usually freeze at least two quarts of this gravy for later use.
Per Serving: 392 calories; 24.7 17.5 22.3 79 1074 Full nutrition