Chef John's Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo)
Ingredients45 m servings 109
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Combine milk, olive oil, and salt in a pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Immediately remove from heat and pour into the bowl with the tapioca. Mix until a shaggy dough starts to form. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, eggs, and cayenne. Stir with a fork until thoroughly combined. Use an ice cream scoop to portion dough onto a silicone-lined baking sheet. Poke down any jagged bits using a wet finger if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
- Chef's Notes:
- Substitute vegetable oil for the olive oil, if desired.
- Instead of using an ice cream scoop you can either add more flour to the dough and roll it into balls or add more liquid, pour it into muffin cups, and bake these like popovers. The taste will be the same but the texture will change.
Per Serving: 109 calories; 6.1 11.3 2.3 20 140 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
There will probably be a couple of questions that will come up a ton so I thought I would post the answers and perhaps keep people from hesitating to make the recipe. First, he uses only one egg...
These are so good. I couldn’t get mine as smooth on the outside, but the chewy inside and taste were spot on. I did a half batch like the video for my family of three and there are none left.