Make-Ahead Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
"My mother gave me this recipe after looking online for something to suit her taste. This was what she came up with. I usually make this the night before Thanksgiving or Christmas and store it in the refrigerator in the insert of my slow cooker. It frees up my holiday to enjoy with family and is delicious!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 45 m servings 396
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until fork tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain water and place pot with potatoes back over medium heat until potatoes are dry, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mash potatoes using a hand mixer until smooth. Stir in cream cheese, half-and-half, egg whites, chives, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Blend well.
- Spray a slow cooker insert with nonstick spray and add mashed potato mixture. Cut 1/2 cup butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and add to potatoes.
- Cook on Low for 2 1/2 hours, stirring once or twice during the cook time. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of butter 1 tablespoon at a time and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- If you are making the potatoes the day before, stop after step 3. Allow potatoes to cool and store in the refrigerator overnight. The day you are serving the potatoes, take them out of the refrigerator for 3 1/2 hours to bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Place a towel under the lid of the slow cooker to collect condensation.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup
Per Serving: 396 calories; 23.3 41.2 7.6 66 210 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I would increase the half and half a bit more to give it a bit creamier texture. I left the skin on and mixed it partially to leave chunks, which were appreciated by all.