Cook Cook's Fiend Stew
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"The inspiration of this recipe came straight from the video game Fallout: New Vegas. I have, however, made a few changes to enhance its overall quality. This is a hearty, spicy, and very tasty stew that has gotten me through some rough times; the ingredients are all relatively cheap, healthy, and filling--ideal for the starving student type-- not that I'd expect anyone else to enjoy it any less. Serve, optionally, with a dollop of sour cream. This will keep in the fridge for 10 to 14 days, and reheats quite well."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h servings 357
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Heat 1/2 of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let onions continue cooking while continuing to next steps.
- Rub beef with barbeque seasoning.
- Add 2 garlic cloves to the onions. Increase heat and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large pot.
- Heat remaining oil in the same skillet. Sear beef chunks, in batches if necessary, until browned, about 7 minutes. Add to the pot with the onions. Pour in enough beer to cover the beef. Place lid on top and bring stew to a boil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and liquid smoke; pour in remaining beer to cover potatoes. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Pour beans, liquids included, into the stew. Smash jalapeno peppers with the flat side of a knife. Add to the stew, along with remaining garlic. Simmer until stew is thick and beef is tender enough to break apart with a spoon, 30 to 60 minutes. Add more beer if the liquid level falls below the main ingredients. Remove lid and simmer if the stew is too watery.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- For best flavor, let beef marinate for 1 hour to overnight.
- For the seasoning I used a 14-spice dry rub mix recipe I found online. It is an extremely versatile spice blend that I use for many applications.
- Use red kidney beans instead of pinto beans if desired.
- For a less spicy variant, cut jalapenos lengthwise and remove the seeds.
Per Serving: 357 calories; 12.5 35.4 17.6 43 720 Full nutrition