8 made it | 0 reviews |
"My first taste of a homemade marshmallow was in France. With all of the fancy desserts available that day, I only went back for more marshmallows. There's just something about these pillowy puffs of sugary deliciousness that turns them into a gourmet treat. And talk about delicious! Try these next time you make smores, add one to your cup of hot cocoa, or include some in your holiday cookie tins. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 5 m servings 34
Original recipe yields 77 servings (77 marshmallows)
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of an 11x7-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup cold water to the bowl of a stand mixer and add unflavored gelatin. Set aside to soften.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar, corn syrup, cherry gelatin, and almond extract in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Heat the mixture to boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer immersed in the mixture reads 240 degrees F (115 degrees C), about 30 minutes. Watch carefully that syrup doesn't boil over; reduce heat if necessary.
- Slowly pour syrup into the softened gelatin in the stand mixer bowl. Beat on low speed, then increase to medium-high and beat until marshmallow mixture has tripled in size. Pour into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top using a rubber spatula. Set marshmallow mixture aside and let stand, uncovered, 8 hours to overnight.
- Dust a large cutting board with about 1 tablespoon powdered sugar. Loosen sides of marshmallow mixture from the baking dish, lift out onto the cutting board, and rub additional powdered sugar on top. Spray a sharp knife with cooking spray and cut marshmallows into 1-inch squares, 11 rows by 7 rows.
- Toss marshmallows in a large bowl with remaining confectioners' sugar. Shake off excess sugar and transfer marshmallows to an airtight container.
You might also like
Per Serving: 34 calories; 0.2 8.4 0.1 < 1 9 Full nutrition